Week 5 - Just Checking In

How is your semester going?

Comments

  1. In terms of this last assignment, the visual analysis, I have had to complete a very similar assignment before. I have had to rhetorically analyze an image in a previous English class. Although it is challenging for me to look deeper and analyze every aspect of an image, I found it much easier to identify components of the image and organize my thoughts the second time attempting this type of assignment. With that said, even the second time I learned that there is always so much more than meets the eye. So many more features have a deeper purpose than what is assumed. And the longer, or harder you look at it, or any context you gather, can completely change your perspective, which introduces the idea that many times there is no one solid truth to an image because it is always perceived by someone who can have a totally independent perspective. I personally have enjoyed that ability to not necessarily be "right" or "wrong" but to be able to state your perspective and support it with this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The semester is really starting to pick up in terms of work load and exams. I am finding the work load in this English class manageable. Although, I did find the rhetorical analysis assignment time consuming. Despite it being time consuming, I found myself getting into the assignment and enjoying it. By paying attention to the small details in the political cartoon, in particular the date at the top of the image, I was able to understand the context and Kairos of the visual argument. This political cartoon was published in light of the Tucson shooting in 2011, and therefore appeals to Kairos, but I found it interesting that seven years later, this cartoon still carries Kairos because it is still relevant and applicable to today's times. I also found it interesting that such a liberal-oriented political cartoon was published in the Houston Chronicle, a local newspaper in Houston, Texas. This cartoon probably sparked some controversy in the eyes of the statistically conservative Texans that have such strong beliefs about gun rights. Overall, I learned quite a lot from this assignment and I now have a better understanding of visual arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This semester is starting to get harder because of exams and work. That being said, I feel like this semester is easier than the last one because I know what I am doing and how everything works in college. While I do not love writing and the fact that there is no concrete answer to anything in English, I am finding the assignments are manageable and I don't hate them as I have in previous English classes. I definitely enjoy science and math more but I am finding this English class interesting and entertaining. Overall I am enjoying this semester and I am looking forward to warmer weather that is hopefully coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My semester is going great. I feel like I'm on top of things, and I don't feel lost in any class. I think it is mainly because I actually understand my bio class this semester instead of stressing about the fact that I could probably fail like last semester. I like my schedule a lot and I enjoy all of my classes and professors. English is great of course. Prayers appreciated for Chem 2 though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My semester is going pretty well so far. It is fairly busy with all of my classes but I have found it to be manageable thus far. In terms of english I have found the class pretty entertaining. I usually do not enjoy english as it is definitely not one of my strong suits but I have not had much trouble with this class so far. The rhetorical analysis was a bit of a challenge for me especially trying to keep it under 750 words. I tend to write a lot and ramble on and on in my assignments which is something that I know I need to work on. I thought that it was difficult to include all of the topics in 750 words. Overall though I feel like I have been learning in this class and that I am benefitting from the loose structure and all the open ended discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My semester is going pretty well. Last week, I would have said differently because I had three tests this week. However, now that I have taken them all my stress is gone. I enjoy most of my classes. I even like composition and rhetoric. I thought coming in it would be a boring writing class where we submit a few research papers. However, we actually have interesting discussions that do not always have a clear correct answer. It's interesting because my class after Comp and Rhet is the complete opposite. Its a pretty tough lecture based course that is almost 100% notes and 3 exams. In a weird way, I enjoy this class just as much as Comp and Rhet. It is very regimented and memorization based. This class is hated by a lot of students but I find it pretty interesting. Anyway, I am enjoying this semester much more than last semester.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My semester is going fine. I have been busy since I got back from break. My classes are good. Very different than last semester. Most of my exams this semester fall on the same weeks. Nothing I can't handle. Really enjoying my forestry classes, especially ecology. However, he likes to assign several reports at once, due within a week of each other. Looking forward to learning a lot this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My semester is going good. My classes are starting to get a lot harder and I'm getting a lot more work now. My classes are very similar to last semester because most of them are just second level courses. I really like all my classes they are just going to be a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This semester is going pretty well, but it would probably be better if I were better at turning things in on time. Last semester, I never had online homework, but this semester I have French, chemistry, and statistics classes who assign a lot of homework. I've gotten better at handling it now, but at first I wasn't good at keeping track of what I had to do for which class. Now that I've gotten that under control, I feel calmer and I'm excited to finish the rest of this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far this semester has been busy. I find myself not really motivated to study and it is taking some time to get back into school since break. Bio and chemistry are my hardest classes so I have been trying to stay on top of it. There is a lot more work than the beginning of the semester but I have been getting it all done. I've gotten better at time management with getting all of my work done and playing a club sport.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My semester has been rather rough so far. Everything is far harder than last and there is much more work. I think I will begin to adjust but as of now I am having trouble balancing everything. I am just ready to get out of the gen ed classes because many of them are not interesting to me. I do far better in a class that I enjoy going to or at least find some benefit to taking unlike Astronomy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My semester is going pretty well. My motivation to study and do any work whatsoever is lacking to a new level of lazy, however, I am doing my best to just push through all the tedious work of the classes that I am not one hundred percent interested in, also known as the general education courses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My semester has been pretty tough so far from an academic standpoint. I caught the flu two weeks ago and missed a full week of class. Catching back up on what I missed has been very time consuming and I feel very behind in most of my courses. However, from a non-academic standpoint I have had a fantastic time. I was able to visit one of my closest friends from back home at the University of Georgia. I also love my schedule. Being the furthest thing from a morning person, I enjoy waking up each morning at 11 or 12 depending on the day. Overall, I am excited for my second semester at Clemson and what lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This past week my work load has increased because of exams and lab reports, but my semester is going well. I am involved in Army Rotc and greek life, which has allowed me to meet all sorts of people. I am enjoying my classes, and it is hard to believe that we are already this far into the semester. I am hoping to keep my positive momentum moving forward with the rest of this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My semester is going really well. I am enjoying my new classes and all of my instructors are great. It's still weird adjusting to the change of switching majors from physics to philosophy. The type of work I do for class now is entirely different, and I am constantly writing. Normally I am not much of an English person, likely because most of my English classes in high school focused on literary analysis, not rhetoric. I find the content on rhetoric both interesting and relevant. I am hoping to find activities outside of class to get involved in this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that this semester is going much better than last semester. I feel like I am more on top of my classes and I am more focused on getting A's than I was last semester. It was a big adjustment moving away from home and I think that it took a toll on my academics. I am more interested in my classes because my biology class is not as boring as last semester, I am doing better at chemistry, and I love my yoga class that I am in. I was not super into English in high school but I like this class because it has challenged me to think more outside of the box and not be bored with analyzing texts. I have been getting involved with lots of fun stuff in my sorority and I like being in Clemson much more now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14 Blog